Tuesday, November 30, 2010

to soother or not to soother...

I have to blog about this...We decided to give Grace a soother shortly after she was born.  It helped ALOT with her gassiness and constant need to suck.  At first she would spit it out after a few sucks but we were persistent in holding it in until she learned.  It worked beautifully for her first 4-5 months. and i totally dont regret it one bit! Than she started waking up during naps and at nighttime and wanting us to put it back in.....she kept waking up more and more frequently....she could never nap longer than an hour at a time! and it got to the point where she was starting to wake up every 2 hours at nighttime!! It was crazy!! She only knew how to suck herself to sleep and every time it fell out we were hooped!  The kids and I are currently in Ottawa for 3 weeks.  This is where I decided to take away the soother.  We took away Parks' soother when he was 15 months old...The lack of sleep has pushed me too far! lol Our first 2 weeks here have been exhausting for me!  Grace had to get use to the time change PLUS she was already waking up every 2 hours or so for her lost soother.  SO I took it away for her first nap of the day....she cried on and off for an 1 hour ( I would go in and fix her blanket as quickly as possible, tell her its time to sleep and leave...I did that every 5, 10, 20 minutes).  She is a very stubborn girl VERY!  she would get quiet and than remember that she was mad and start screaming again...

After the hour she made herself sick....so i changed her up and settled her down again...i was ready to give up ( i knew i had to stay persistent).  She fell asleep after half an hour!  only slept for 30 minutes but still I WON:)  Next nap in the afternoon she cried for another hour and fell asleep for an hour! That night when i put her down she didn't make a peep!!!  I have a little blanket with a bunny head on it that she now only gets when she's going to sleep...she rubs her face with it and was asleep within 5 minutes.   What a wonderful accomplishment:)  Some may think i am a mean Mom but for the little time that it took to train her (yes by letting her cry it out) it is well worth getting my sleep back!  Now she wakes at 4-5am to eat and goes back to sleep until 7-8am.  There has been a few nights were she'll wake up and have to repeat the cry it out process but overall i am happy.  She is still such a happy easy going girl even without the soother....and honestly i dont think she even remembers it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment