Wow! I cant believe 10 years ago today I asked my husband if he wanted to be my boyfriend! Yes that's right, I had to ask him out:) Everybody knew we both liked each other, but I guess we were too shy to do anything about it, plus we were good friends at the time, so it was getting really awkward. We were at a Track and Field Meet in grade 10. I remember walking up to him while he was resting under one of the tents and being like "so do you wanta start going out with me?" he said yes and on the bus ride home we held hands:) At the Track Meet I was signed up for the 4 by 1 relay that we came in 1st place...Matt was signed up for the 4 by 1 relay, hurdles, javelin which he came in 1st place for and high jump was 2nd place...he was very athletic to say the least, if he could have been in every category he would have. He went to City Finals for javelin and came in 1st place...for hurdles he fell asleep and missed it! I was so impressed with my new man:) haha
We dated for 5 years before we got married, and every summer Matt would leave me to go home to Alberta, he spent his summers up at his parents cabin. It was a heart breaker having just starting dating mid May and Matt leaving me when school ended at the end of June...we would be apart for the WHOLE summer! I don't know how we did it, I think it's safe to say Matt would call me everyday (seriously) and somehow that kept or love growing strong:) We definitely had our ups and downs during those years with all of Matt's family living out West and all mine out East. It was a hard decision for Matt to decide to stay in Ottawa with me after 4 years of dating. It would always be a huge loss for one of us by being so far away from our families. Matt got a job and later his own apartment in Ottawa, I'm not going to lie I was sooo happy to have him in Ottawa. That was about the time that I decided to start looking into Matt's religion as a Mormon. I met with some really nice Sister Missionaries and started going to church and within less than a year I made the decision to be baptized into that religion. We had been dating for almost 5 years at that point, so it took me awhile to take that step. I'm so glad I did too, being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has helped me become a better person in so many ways. It has helped to realize the importance of family and to always put them first over material things. It has helped me to be more grateful for the little things in life. I'm so happy to have the Spirit in my home and know that God is watching over me and that he exists. Matt has always had this sweetness about him that made him so different from the other guys I knew, I now know it has to do with our religion. 10 years with Matt has been amazing, I have a binder FULL of love notes and poems. He is my best friend, I couldn't imagine my life without him. It is so fun to sit here and remember things that have happened in our past, our relationship has become so strong. I love you babe.
SO CUTE!!! Aww, I love love stories!
ReplyDelete